Saturday

our first mushrooms ~


I looked out the window ... out across the yard, on the edge of the woods towards the wood chip pile we had made earlier this year in May...  Did my eyes deceive me or were those mushrooms popping up??  I could see them from the house.


The Stropharia Rugosa-annulata Mushrooms, aka. Wine Caps are growing!  Yeah!!!

This is our first attempt at growing mushrooms so forgive me if I seem a bit excited.  I felt just like a farmer walking into a barn and seeing a newborn calf... that kind of excitement :)

They are still in the early stage; but look how big they are already:




These are still in the "button stage" as their caps haven't separated yet from the stem forming the annulus or ring.


I only picked four of them today.  I'm excited to see what tomorrow brings:)



I'm hoping for a bumper crop out of our 5'x10' bed.  Stuffed mushrooms, mushroom soup, sauteed mushrooms, pickled mushrooms .... time to check out some recipes.

Hopefully in a few days we'll start to see something on the oyster mushroom - totem poles we planted also.

The weather is dropping into the near freezing and in some places freezing temperatures already at night and then back into the 60's- 70's during the days.  Prime mushroom time.

Until next time ...
So it goes in my neck of the woods.
~mel

16 comments:

  1. I'm excited for you .
    I love mushrooms .
    Yummy .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing the mushrooms. I know NOTHING about them, but do love them. You guys B so smart to know which you can eat and which you cannot.
    Wish you the best, but I do know the excitement feeling, from other projects of course. LOL

    Love you lady and Thanks for the info and education.Love ya! Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is exciting!! They are beautiful too, healthy as well!!!They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are almost too pretty to eat. Here's to hoping you have a bumper crop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Those are BIG mushrooms, indeed. ENJOY.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wondering how your mushroom growing was going. Good for you! I'm jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Mel ~ So happy for you that your new venture into mushrooming has worked! Congrats!
    'love & hugs from afar'

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've probably told you before but in case I haven't we have a chef at the hospital cafeteria and he uses a lot of mushrooms, I love them and have wondered if they are good health wise. I have never seen them grown other then the toadstools that look like mushrooms. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's great. They look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very exciting! I had a few Shaggy Manes voluntarily come up this year. I think it is cool how you are growing them

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great! I suppose they look different than other mushrooms so you don't eat the wrong type in case they too pop up where you planted yours? I know mostly nothing about mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mom your mushrooms look great, and huge! Can't wait til they really start popping up and you have mushrooms galore. Enjoy your harvest and if you get too many you can always send some my way lol. Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Boy do I ever envy you. I would love to be able to pick mushrooms, but sadly I am not educated in that area and just leave the little guys that come up around her to the animals. I will follow your blog and see if I can pick up some information.

    Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have inspired me to order morel spores. We have one or two here, but I've never seen more than that. I've always wanted to try growing them. Great job.

    ReplyDelete