Sunday

homemade oat berry yogurt ~

I found a new recipe at Scandifoodie ~ I LOVE IT!!

It took a few days to put together; but sooooooo worth the wait.  What is it?  Yogurt made from oatmeal.  Yes, oatmeal.  Who'd a thought that??  Well... apparently in Finland it's a common practice and now in my household it's going to be too.  

Basically, what you do is take rolled oats, the originally recipe at Scandifoodie used rolled oats and groats; but I just did it with the rolled oats and it turned out great.

Put them in a glass bowl ~ cover with water and let it soak.  After 8 hours ... I let mine sit overnight ... you give them a swirl in the blender to make a nice smooth consistency.

Put it back into the glass bowl and cover.

As it sits, it begins to ferment.  Like a starter.

Here's my slurry of oats on Day 2 :



Day 4 ...  look at the beautiful bubble action going on.  Fermentation is taking place ~ and a bit of a sour taste has taken on to the slurry. 



I spooned out 2 soup ladles full into my blender.  Added a few frozen blueberries, a spoonful of sugar substitute and a very small splash of vanilla flavoring.

Swirl away ... and wahlah!!!  
Fresh ~ homemade  ~ non-dairy ~ healthy ~ 

Oat Berry Yogurt

I can't wait to try this with other fruits.  Yum.

I was really amazed at the texture of this.  I have to admit ~ I was a bit hesitant, thinking that it may be mealy from the oatmeal; but was pleasantly surprised by the texture.  It's just like the yogurt you buy in the store ... only better tasting!

I may never buy the stuff at the store again. Thanks Scandifoodie! She has the recipe on her website with more detail to measurements than I put on here. 

I also can't wait to try this same starter in some muffins or bread.  I'll update when I do.

Until next time ...
So it goes in my neck of the woods.
~mel

10 comments:

  1. Who knew??? And it looks fairly simple, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this! I never heard of making yogurt out of oatmeal, but I will definitely give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If that don't beat all!!! I think this one is going to be a keeper...gonna get right on it.
    Thanks for sharing Sis.
    Have a great time with Slim today, take pictures.
    BlessYourHeart

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always come up with the coolest stuff ~ sounds really healthy ... and surprisingly you say it's good too!
    'love & hug from afar'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sounds good. BUT I have a problem with 'WAITING'. I like Jello, but that even is hard for me to wait on. hahahaha

    I'll see what Sherry thinks of this. We just had lo-fat Yogurt for breakfast. We are thinking of two or three days of this yogurt diet and nothing else. Who knows?

    Love you girl, you are something else, a very patient person, but you are used to waiting for snow to melt!!!! It must give patience!
    From down here,
    Sherry & Jack

    ReplyDelete
  6. How unusual! I've never heard of doing this. It looks yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to have to try that since I rarely have yogurt around when I'm craving it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to have to try that since I rarely have yogurt around when I'm craving it.

    ReplyDelete