Thursday

war of the muffin ~

That's right ... it's escalated to a war! A war between me and my muffin top ~ which has now escalated to what I classify as a belly flop.  How did that happen!!!!

I have always been the chunky monkey of the family ~ and I'm not too proud bearing that title.  I have been on so many different diets through out my lifetime.  Sometimes I'd lose a few pounds only to put back on. The few I'd lose, and then a few extras, would sneak back on me each time I TRIED to diet.  Frustration ... frustration... frustration! 

I have QUIT the dieting.  Now I am concentrating on just eating healthier.  hmmmph....  The word diet is getting kicked to the curb.

My biggest pitfall ... carbs.  I do (or should I say did) love my whites.  White flour, white rice, white sugar, noodles, potatoes ... oh ... that beautiful little potato.  It wasn't the potato that was killing me .... yes ... killing me ... I have all the health issues that go along with all those high carbs in my diet ... it also included all those carb laden gravies and sauces that I would top it all off with.

BUT THE BIGGEST problem in my house has been that dreaded white flour!!  It has to go!!

Lord help me on my quest.

  Now... I'm doing okay with that BUT I love to bake and cutting out white flour isn't all that easy to do.  I've been trying to switch over to using all whole unprocessed flours; but if you're a cook ... you know ... the texture and taste changes dramatically without white flour.

So began my muffin war!

I have been on a muffin kick ... trying to find a "good tasting, low fat, low cal, low carb, low sugar, low everything" muffin that actually taste good ... isn't dried out and flavorless ... or taste like cardboard (which whole wheat taste like to me)... and the kicker ... I can eat it without feeling quilty.  Now is that too much to ask for in a whole wheat muffin?  I think not.

Here's what I came up with this morning ~ I'm calling them:

Mel's Morning Glory Muffins

I began with taking 2 whole carrots, raw - with the peeling on,  1 apple, with the peelings on and cored ~ tossing those into the food processor and giving it a whirl ~ to grate the carrots and apple.  They ( whoever they are) claim that you should eat those peelings ... they're full of the vitamins and nutrients.

I transferred that to a mixing bowl and added:

2 large Eggs
1/4 cup Canola Oil
1/4 cup low-fat Milk
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 tsp. Orange Extract

Mix that altogether ... then add the following dry ingredients:

2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/3 cup  Sugar Substitute
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground Ginger
1/2 tsp. Salt

I also added about 1/2 cup of toasted sunflower kernels ... or you could add walnuts or coconut or raisins, flaxseed ... today it just happened to be the sunflowers for me:)
Filled up the paper lined cupcake pan ...
 it made 12 
and baked in a preheated 375 degree oven 
for 25 minutes


Pat on back ... they actually tasted pretty darn good. I think that vanilla and the orange extract were the magic ingredients.

They didn't taste "cardboardy" and the texture wasn't too bad either.  Next time though ... I'm thinking maybe just a bit more canola oil ... increasing it to 1/3 cup vs. 1/4

All in all ... I think this ones a keeper.

Until next time ...
So it goes in my neck of the woods.
~mel

9 comments:

  1. i do wish you luck in your war... for your health's sake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sounded good when you described them on the phone, and now to see them, they look just ' licious!'
    I'm always amazed how well you manage to transform any recipe...speaking of which, when the non-drowsy cold tablet I took at bedtime kept me up, I transformed the entire menu for the retirement party...woe is me.
    Wish me your luck.
    BlessYourHeart, Really!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are with you sweetheart! The muffins look delicious and sounds good too. I THINK THIS BATTLE IS ALREADY YOURS, NOW FOR THE WAR.Stick with it and we will all celebrate!

    I was thinking about y'all today when I mentioned Brandy in tomorrow's Blog.
    Love you girl!!
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a carboholic, too! That must be what causes the extra weight, because I don't overeat. Well, that and lack of exercise. I need to stop getting on the computer and start getting off my butt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That muffin sounds scrumptious. Save me one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Mel, I've been fighting the battle of the bulge for more years than the toes on my feet. My muffin is now a full blown 'angel' cake!! Lack of exercise is my big barrier.
    'love & hugs from afar'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your product looks like a winner! I'm sure they taste good also. You've won! Enjoy the victory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never had a WEIGHT PROBLEM UNTIL I WAS IN MY EARLY 60'S. Like you, I would lose and gain. I am still about 40 lbs over what I should be. One alternative to knee surgery is lose weight. I don't think that I could get it off quick enough, use anti inflamatory drug, I have been for quite some time. So, I wish you luck on your weight loss. I have a call in to my orthopedist. Now that was painful, to call in.

    ReplyDelete