I did everything the way they were suppose to be done. Wash the fresh cranberries, put them into a boiling pot of water until the skins cracked, letting out a popping sound, tossing them in sugar (I used a sugar substitute) and onto the dehydrator tray.
I'm thinking that I had too many in the hot water at one time; because only half of them had cracked skins.
After 16 hours in the dehydrator ... those little buggers just were not getting done.
What to do ... what to do?
I was ready to take the whole works and toss them to the birds! Some days I just feel like everything is against me and I'm running on a short fuse.
Thinking cap time Mel ... think!!!
I'm a pretty frugal person and I really didn't want to waste these cranberries (although the birds and deer I'm sure would have enjoyed them).
I went and grabbed the food processor and tossed them in. Pulse ... Pulse ... Pulse and I had a slurry of cranberries.
I spread them out on waxed paper and back into the dehydrator. I decided I would give them 2 more hours of drying time and if they weren't ready by then ... forget it!
An hour later ...
CRANBERRY FRUIT ROLL-UP'S
aka. Fruit Leather
aka. Cranberry Jerky!!
They taste good too :)
Next time I'm going to do this in the first place.
Until next time ...
So it goes in my neck of the woods.