Here's the recipe: it yields 2 loaves
2 Tablespoons Dry Yeast (.25 oz. dry package)
3/4 Cup Warm Water
1/2 Cup Butter
1 1/2 Cups Buttermilk
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar *
*( I used 1/8 cup Splenda)
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
2 teaspoon Salt
5 1/2 Cups Flour
1. Proof the yeast in the warm water.
2. In a small saucepan place the butter and buttermilk. Heat slowly until the butter has melted. Cool to lukewarm.
3. Into a large bowl, place the buttermilk/butter mixture. Add the yeast/water mixture. Add 3 cups of the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix well, gradually adding the remaining flour.
4. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface. Knead for several minutes until the dough is soft and smooth. Place into a greased bowl. Cover with a kitchen cloth and allow to rise until doubled in size.
5. Punch down the dough and divide into 2 loaves. Place into two well greased bread pans. Allow to rise until the dough has risen about an inch above the pans.
6. Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F (190 degrees C ) oven for 30 - 35 minutes.
The loaves are done when nicely browned and hollow sounding when thumped.
We had a slice last night with our salad, grilled steak and cheesy potatoes and then again this morning made into toast along side some pork links and over easy eggs. Yi Yi Yi ... I have to get back on my diet!! I'm telling you ... it's not easy to try to lose weight when I LOVE to cook and bake!! AND EAT!!!
Until next time ...
So it goes in my neck of the woods.