Monday

dear deer ~

Amazing how the lawn looks after only 2 days of warm weather.  The last foot of snow from last weeks storm is just about gone.  The grass is even greening up.


The warm weather also brought some deer up out of the swamp and back forty - where they spent the winter browsing.  These are the first deer I've seen in the yard in months.




They look rough.  It was a long and hard winter on them and I'm sure they are appreciating the spring weather too.  


They're so thin.  I'm sure they'll fatten up now that the snow is gone and they have some green grass to graze on.  I haven't seen the deer this thin in the springtime in years.  So sad to see.

Well whether there's a feeding law or not ... I'm putting some extra seed and some cookies out for them on the feeder... they love cookies :)  Poor buggers.
And they can eat the clover out of my yard as fast as it comes in.  I just hate seeing them so thin. 

 
It didn't take the gray squirrel long to snag a cookie and go up the tree to enjoy it.  

The birds too have been feeding so heavily these last few days.  We're suppose to getting some cooler, wet weather again.  Even the possibility for some more snow showers.  


I have five feeders that need filling EVERY morning.  
They have the sock feeder just about worn out.  

The male gold finches are getting their summer colors.  



This one is just about completely turned ~ with the exception of a wee patch of gray remaining on the back of it's head.


~ napping in the sunshine ... it's little head tucked up under it's wing ...
... peek a boo ...
I see you.

Until next time ...
So it goes in my neck of the woods.
~mel


6 comments:

  1. I LOVE deer. We get them in our backyard and out in the front. My mom hates them because they eat her flowers and shrubs. But my goodness yours did look thin. How thrilling to see the first ones of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The deer in your yard doesn't seem to be afraid of anything. Got their tails snuggly down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MEL!! don't feed the deer!!! They will be fine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my those deer are thin. We must have neighbors that feed ours all winter, they're not so thin. Enjoy today's warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mel those are some great shots. You guys have some rough weather, but the bennys of the wild life and outdoors does seem to make it more palatable.

    I love all the wildlife shots, but the Gold Finch just make me feel good.
    Thanks and HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheeez, she sure does look gant and not at all prego ~ at least the deep snow is gone...she stayed ahead of the wolves so she should make it.
    Love the birds ~ hoping Rusk is open today so I can get some seed...expensive at Menards and Fleet.
    BlessYa

    ReplyDelete